Thursday, May 30, 2013

Water Damage Repair: Part Two


Water damage is a bitch. And it's a returning bitch in that: once I decided I got rid of salts deposits and sufficiently cleaned my Samsung Skyrocket's insides (see my previous article), all it took to strike again was 36 hours of high atmospheric humidity and salty drizzle -- I live 800 metres from Pacific Ocean.

My Skyrocket didn't die though, it just started to stutter on video playback. This means that two cleaning sessions described in my previous article weren't enough, and a more serious approach is needed.

My tools for this enhanced cleaning are pictured above, from left to right: ordinary tooth brush, short hog hair brush, screwdriver, dentist's bloody pick, tweezers, Phillips screwdriver #1, engraver's needle, another screwdriver, blade, nail file, pencil flashlight. 10x loupe and cotton swabs above. What is omitted from this picture is quite powerful hairdryer, 95% ethanol (if the price is of no problem it better be of optical grade 95.63%, an azeotropic solution) and branded automotive electric contact cleaner of this type:


Well, I'm not fooling myself: even after these two extensive cleaning and drying sessions the residual hygroscopic salts deposits may act up again -- say, in rainy weather.

Next step would be using no less than an ultrasonic bath.



(Skyrocket's 480x800 screen is nothing to write mom about these day, but its dual-core Snapdragon APQ8060 is quite a nice media chip to run XBMC on)

No comments:

Post a Comment